Monday, April 21, 2008

children! PC! what has happened?

ok so friday also my son got suspended from school.  you may ask why.  this is exactly what i'm going to tell you, and why i'm so troubled about it.  after all, this IS a blog, right?

so apparently on thursday during some form of recess (the one time in the day when the children are allowed to be children) he was chasing some kid with a stick.  Some way shape or form the stick was taken away (I think by other kids or something) and he went and got the stick back.  Then he proceeded to continute to chase said boy + 1 additional. When he could not catch them, he threw the stick, causing what I can only imagine to be a somewhat minor injury to the boy's arm.  

Now, I understand that there are rules, and when rules have been broken, punishments are given. But to be quite honest, a suspension punishes the parent, not so much the student.  What ever happened to the dungeon-like in-school suspension programs like we had at my fair EP High?  - maybe the HS here has it also and this is due to the young age.  He had ISS one time and hated it, I'll only guess it's a "principal doesn't have time for it" type of thing.

Ok so my conflict is where does political correctness and boys are girls meet with boys will be boys?  The male species is born to be a hunter, gatherer, and has instict to be of a "warrior" nature.  Our society is ripping this from our boys so that many are like women when they grow up.  My son is very intellegent and needs to be in the right environment until he's grown enough to learn what's ok and what's not.  SEE!  There goes the double edged sword again. Even my own expectations are fighting with what my brain says is right. So what gives?  

Ugh, I don't even know half the time.  I think there should be a special school for boys who cannot deny their inner man.  I'm still learning.  Flame me if you want. It's not that I think it's ok for my son to hurt Mr. and Mrs. Johnson's wimpy boy.  My son does not realize his strength.  But at the same time I do think a man ought to be able to defend his family.  If he doesn't grow up in it, how can he know it?  Aah, I just don't know.  We live in a confusing time.

No comments: